Make your own free website on


..33645 Lieutenant Colonel J.P. Carne - D.S.O. and VICTORIA CROSS
"On the night 22nd/23rd April 1951, Lieutenant-Colonel Carne's battalion, the 1st Battalion The Gloucestershire Regiment, was heavily attacked and the enemy on the Imjin River were repulsed, having suffered heavy casualties. On 23rd, 24th and 25th April 1951, the battalion was heavily and incessantly engaged by vastly superior numbers of enemy, who repeatedly launched mass attacks, but were stopped at close quarters. During the 24th and 25th April 1951, the battalion was completely cut off from the rest of the Brigade, but remained a fighting entity, in face of almost continual onslaughts from an enemy who were determined at all costs and regardless of casualties to overrun it. Throughout Lieut-Col. Carne's manner remained coolness itself, and on the wireless, the only communication he still had with Brigade, he repeatedly assured the Brigade Commander that all was well with his battalion, that they could hold on and that everyone was in good heart. Throughout the entire engagement Lieut-Col. Carne, showing a complete disregard for his own safety, moved among the whole battalion under very heavy mortar and machine gun fire, inspiring the utmost confidence and the will to resist amongst his troops. On 2 separate occasions, armed with a rifle and grenades, he personally led assault parties, which drove back the enemy and saved important situations. Lieut-Col. Carne's example of courage, coolness and leadership was felt not only in his own battalion, but throughout the whole Brigade. He fully realised that his flanks had been turned, but he also knew that the abandonment of his position would clear the way for the enemy to make a major breakthrough, and this would have endangered the Corps. When at last it was apparent that his battalion would not be relieved and on orders from higher authority, he organised his battalion into small, officer-led parties, who then broke out, while he himself in charge of a small party fought his way out, but was captured within 24 hours. Lieut-Col. Carne showed powers of leadership which can seldom have been surpassed in the history of our Army. He inspired his officers and men to fight beyond the normal limits of human endurance, in spite of overwhelming odds and ever-increasing casualties, shortage of ammunition and of water."
Lieut-Col. Carne was presented with the Victoria Cross at Buckingham Palace on 27th October 1953.

3655080 Lieutenant P.K.E. Curtis - VICTORIA CROSS (posthumous)
"The Queen has been graciously pleased to approve the posthumous award of the Victoria Cross to Lieutenant Philip Kenneth Edward Curtis, The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, attached The Gloucestershire Regiment, in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Korea. During the first phase of the Battle of the Imjin River on the night of 22nd/23rd April 1951, "A" Company, 1st Gloucesters, was heavily attacked by a large enemy force. By dawn on the 23rd April the enemy had secured a footing on the "Castle Hill" site in very close proximity to No. 2 Platoon's position. The Company Commander ordered No. 1 Platoon, under the command of Lieutenant Curtis, to carry out a counter-attack with a view to dislodging the enemy from the position. Under covering fire of medium machine guns the counter-attack, gallantly led by Lieutenant Curtis, gained initial success but was eventually held up by heavy fire and grenades. Enemy from just below the crest of the hill were rushed to reinforce the position and a fierce fire-fight developed. Lieut. Curtis ordered some of his men to give him covering fire while he himself rushed the main position of resistance; in this charge Lieut. Curtis was severely wounded by a grenade. Several of his men crawled out and pulled him back under cover, but recovering himself, Lieut. Curtis insisted on making a second attempt. Breaking free from the men who wished to restrain him, he made another desperate charge, hurling grenades as he went, but was killed by a burst of fire when within a few yards of his objective. Although the immediate objective of this counter-attack was not achieved, it had yet a great effect on the subsequent course of the battle; for although the enemy had gained a footing on a position vital to the defence of the whole Company area, this success had resulted in such furious action that they made no further effort to exploit their success in this immediate area; had they done so, the eventual withdrawal of the Company might well have proved impossible. Lieut. Curtis' conduct was magnificent throughout this bitter battle." (London Gazette. 1st Dec. 1953)

Distinguished Service Order

33645 Lieutenant-Colonel J.P. Carne - London Gazette. 7 June 1951
"During the period 16th/18th February 1951, Lieut-Col. Carne commanded the 1st Battalion The Gloucestershire Regiment when the Battalion was ordered to attack Point 321, a rugged and precipitous feature, the key to the enemy position, and the capture of which was vital for the Brigade and Division operations. Lieut-Col. Carne planned the attack, which was a success after a battle which lasted all day. The conduct of the battle by Lieut-Col. Carne, who accompanied the forward companies, was beyond praise. He took control at a critical moment when a leading company commander was wounded, and altered the direction of the attack. The Battalion eventually captured the hill after hand-to-hand fighting. Lieut-Col. Carne was cool and confident and a great inspiration to his Battalion. He captured a prisoner single-handed. The exploitation during the days following were also well conducted."

67136 Major Edgar Denis Harding
"At the commencement of the Battle of the Imjin River, 22nd-25th April 1951, Major Harding was commanding "B" Company, the right forward company of the 1st Gloucesters. The Company was occupying an isolated position on some foothills. During the first phase of the battle, on the night of 22nd-23rd April and the morning of 23rd April 1951, "B" Company were not seriously engaged but inflicted crushing reverses on some enemy patrols entering their area. During the morning of 23rd April the position of the other two forward companies became untenable, and these companies were withdrawn to new positions. In order to conform with the new defensive plan, "B" Company were also ordered to withdraw to a position on Hill 496, a commanding feature, which had already been occupied by an enemy patrol. The withdrawal from contact with small enemy groups, the defeat of the patrol on Hill 496 and the occupation of the feature was carried out with dispatch. The Company dug in to the best of their ability in the rocky ground on the hilltop. Soon after dark on the night of the 24th April the enemy attacked the new defensive line and "B" Company were engaged heavily by large numbers of the enemy. Throuhgout the night the Company, continuously attacked by ever-increasing numbers of the enemy, surrendered not a foot of ground and inflicted tremendous losses on the enemy. But during the same night, the Company on their left had given ground, and Battalion HQ had moved to a fighting position. "B" Company were thus completely isolated and, furthermore, they were now running short of ammunition. Soon after dawn on 24th April, Major Harding endeavoured to extricate his company from a position which had become untenable with a view to rejoining Battalion HQ. The initial withdrawal from the position was successful; it was covered by artillery fire, and by Major Harding's own Company HQ Group, which remained to the last; but the mile of hill country between the Company and Battalion HQ was thick with enemy troops, and many men of the Company were rounded-up by the enemy in the narrow precipitous valleys. Major Harding, with some 30 of his men, succeeded in fighting his way back to Battalion HQ. Major Harding was then placed in charge of a composite company, composed of the survivors of "B" and "C" Companies. During the final phase of the battle on the night of 24th-25th April 1951, and the following morning, this company was continuously engaged with the enemy endeavouring to outflank the position. Throughout this battle Major Harding's leadership, skill and personal gallantry, in the face of overwhelming odds, were of the highest order; his exemplary conduct sustained the moral of his men under exceptioanlly testing conditions."

251309 Captain Anthony Heritage Farrar-Hockley, MC
"During the final phase of the Battle of the Imjin River, the 1st Glosters, now much below strength, were concentrated on Hill 235. "A" Company, which on 22nd-23rd April 1951, had suffered many casualties, including 3 of the 4 officers with the Company, was holding a spur running towards the west. The number of officers with the company had been made up to 3. At about midnight on 24th-25th April 1951, an enemy attack developed against "A" Company position. The enemy pressed this attack, in spite of heavy casualties, with the greatest determination; for the next 10 and a half hours there was no respite for the tired and rapidly diminishing defenders. During the night the only 2 platoon commanders became casualties, and by dawn on 25th April the forward platoons had been driven in. The Company was then concentrated on a knoll about 50 yards from the Battalion HQ position. This knoll was the key to the whole position; and had it been captured by the enemy the whole Battalion position would have become untenable. It became clear that the one officer remaining with the Company would require assistance in the re-organisation of the position and in maintaining the defence of this vital point. Captain Farrar-Hockley, the Adjutant of the 1st Glosters, volunteered for this dangerous task. His impact on the situation of the Company was immediate; trenches in which the defenders had become casualties were remanned and fire superiority was regained; enemy working round the left flank were caught by grenades and small arms fire and almost decimated. The defenders settled down with high morale to hold this position. Although checked in this manner, the enemy did not remain inactive for long; by now established on the next knoll about 40 yards away, they attacked again and again, only to be killed or driven back. Throughout this time Capt. Farrar-Hockley was in one of the forward trenches encouraging his men and taking a very active part in the fierce fighting. This fighting took place at close quarters: the enemy made the best use of the cover and on one occasion 3 of them were killed within a few yards of Captain Farrar-Hockley's trench. Again, when an air strike was called in to relieve the pressure, the target given was the knoll only 40 yards from our own forward trenches. The position was finally abandoned only when ordered, at about 1020 hours. Capt. Farrar-Hockley covered the withdrawal by fire and smoke screen, and was himself the last to leave the position. Throughout this desperate engagement, on which the ability of the Battalion to hold its position entirely depended, Capt. Farrar-Hockley was inspiration to the defenders. His outstanding gallantry, fighting spirit, and great powers of leadership heartened his men and welded them into an indomitable team. His conduct could not have been surpassed."

Military Cross

Lieutenant G.T. Costello - (attached from Royal Hampshire Regt)
"Throughout the Battle of the Imjin River Lieut. Costello's bravery in the face of heavy fire, his complete disregard for his own safety, his skill and leadership were of the highest order. These personal factors were major factors contributing to the steadfastness of his Platoon under the assault of an enemy numerically vastly superior to themselves."

360192 Captain M.G. Harvey - (attached from Royal Hampshire Regt). London Gaz. 7 June 1951
"During the night of 22nd/23rd April 1951, the Company under Captain Harvey's temporary command withstood continual attacks by the enemy, in vastly superior numbers to his own. Acting on the orders of the Commanding Officer, he withdrew his Company in good order to a new position on the morning of 23rd April 1951, where it remained in action, giving a good account of itself until 25th April 1951. Throughout this period, the cool and courageous leadership of Capt. Harvey was outstanding. At 1030 hours on 25th April, Captain Harvey received orders to lead a party of officers and men through the enemy lines to safety. Choosing his own route he led 4 officers and 40 other ranks to saftey, through country entirely dominated by the enemy. This was the only formed part of the Regiment to get through the enemy lines. Again, it was Captain Harvey's leadership that maintained a sufficient standard of discipline to bring them through successfully."

400087 Lieutenant G.F.B. Temple
"Immediately prior to the Battle of the Imjin River Lieut. Temple was ordered to establish an ambush party at the most likely crossing of the river; this was at a ford named Gloster Crossing. Here a trap was set. At about 2130 hours, 22nd April, an advanced party of the enemy appeared on the opposite bank. Lieut. Temple held his fire until the enemy were in mid-stream. Four times the enemy rushes were met by the fire of the Platoon. The success of this engagement, in inflicting many casualties and much delay on a large force at the very commencement of a major offensive, was due entirely to the care with which Lieut. Temple prepared the ambush, and the cool and skilful manner in which he handles his small force."

Distinguished Conduct Medal

5182071 WO2 H.G. Gallagher
"On the night of the 22nd-23rd April 1951, "A" Company were in occupation of a feature commanding a main crossing of the Imjin River. As night wore on, heavy Chinese reinforcements were committed against "A" Company. Eventually, by sheer weight of numbers, they captured the highest point of "A" Company's position. Already one platoon commander had been killed and, in an effort to regain the lost ground, yet a second platoon commander met his death. Sergt-Major Gallagher now went forward to restore a dangerous situation and, by stabilising the position, temporarily halted the Chinese advance. That he was not killed was a miracle, especially considering that much of the time he moved across open ground. He now returned to his Company HQ. This area was also under intense fire and, as he reached it, his Company Commander was killed. In this moment, but for Sergt-Major Gallagher's coolness, skill, and bravery, the entire position might well have been lost."

5949801 A/Sgt. P.G. Pugh
"Sergt. Pugh's Platoon was in defence on an exposed position of "A" Company's position. Sergt. Pugh's conduct at this time was not only gallant, a superb example to the men about him, but also of the utmost importance to the maintenance of the main position of the 1st Glosters. During the short, critical period, when no officer was available, had he failed in the face of extreme adversity, the position might well have been lost at a great cost to life to the remainder of his comrades in the Battalion."

Military Medal

21015222 A/Sgt. T.F. Clayden
"During the early part of the night 24th-25th April 1951, the 1st Glosters withdrew into a close defensive perimeter on Hill 235. Sergt. Clayden, whose Flame Section had been converted to a rifle/light machine gun basis, was sent forward from the area held by Support Company to supplement the troops holding the "A" Company position. As soon as the first counter-attack had been launched against the enemy, Sergt. Clayden was despatched to the left flank where he established a firm position. For the following three and a half hours he personally directed at close contact the resistance of a handful of men to a force numerically greatly superior. His determination, his skill, and his personal courage under continuous fire were the main factors contributing to the success of his defence."

1430821 Pte. W.S. Cleveland - Lond. Gaz. 29 May 1951
"Private Cleveland was a member of the party of The Gloucetsershire Regiment who successfully fought their way through the enemy lines on the 25th April 1951, in the withdrawal from the Imjin River. After fighting off parties of enemy over a period of 4 hours' marching, and when in sight of allied troops, Private Cleveland saw his platoon sergeant fall wounded in the leg. Without thought of his own safety, Private Cleveland returned towards the advancing enemy, and, assisting his platoon sergeant, brought him safely to friendly troops. By this gallant action he undoubtably saved his sergeant from capture."

22530094 Pte. R.L. Middleton
"In the final phase of the Battle of the Imjin River Private Middleton was a member of the counter-attack force ("A" Company) which returned to the forward slope of Hill 235. Installed in position with a Bren machine gun, he took his place in the defence. For the next nine hours Private Middleston's position was almost continuously under fire; he was without food or water. Ammunition was running low and it was necessary to make every round count. In spite of these conditions, Private Middleton not only exposed himself fearlessly to enemy fire, not only disregarded the physical exhaustion sustained after 3 days fierce fighting, not only remained in high morale with a splendid will to resist, but he also inspired others."

1444977 A/Sgt. S. Robinson
"During the night 23rd-24th April repeated attacks were made by heavy Chinese forces against Sergt. Robinson's platoon position. At first light he was manning a light machine gun in an exposed forward position. Despite heavy fire, he maintained this gun in action personally for over three hours, though wounded seriously in the arm and leg. Through loss of blood, he collapsed over the weapon, and only then was drawn to the rear. Due to his courage and selfless devotion to duty, this important post withstood the repeated assaults of the enemy. Sergt. Robinson's conduct was indeed an inspiration to all those about him."

6103948 Pte. J.A.W. Robson
"Private Robson was a member of a rifle section in a forward position on the night 22nd-23rd April 1951. During the night 15 Chinese attacked his platoon position. Showing great coolness he allowed the enemy to approach within ten yards before opening fire and all the enemy were killed, the last within a few feet of his personal positon. The attacks against his position were repeated. Private Robson continued to maintain his gun in action, inflicting many casualties on the enemy with great skill and a total disregard for his personal safety."

22530161 Pte. D.M.R. Walker
"During the second phase of the Battle of the Imjin River on the night of 23rd-24th April 1951, the position of Battalion HQ became untenable and a hurried move was made. The new position had only just been reached when, at dawn, an attack materialised. The enemy were engaged by men of the Signal Platoon and among them was Private Walker. Some of the enemy worked unseen along the precipitous slope of the ridge, and could only be located by one standing on the edge of the crest, who would thus be exposed to the close range fire of the enemy. Private Walker decided to shoot it out with them; slinging his Bren gun to the hip position and shouting for some grenades to be thrown to cover his action, he sprang to the edge of the crest and started shooting down the steep slope. Almost immediately he was severely wounded, but his object had been achieved and the enemy made a rapid withdrawal."

21125637 Cpl. L.E.D. Wateridge - Lond. Gaz. 10 July 1951
"Corporal Wateridge was a member of the party of The Gloucetsershire Regiment who, separated from their Battalion on 23rd April 1951, fought their way out of an enemy ambush. When the party was on the way to safety, they found 2 trucks full of ammunition, which were desperately needed by the Battalion. Corporal Wateridge and 2/Lieutenant Preston at once each mounted the cab of a truck, and, well knowing they must fight their way back through the enemy, started back the way they had come towards the Battalion. Both trucks were put out of action by the enemy and Corporal Wateridge was wounded and captured. On 24th April 1951, 2/Lieut. Preston and Corporal Wateridge escaped from the enemy during an allied air strike on the position in which they were held. Corporal Wateridge made his way back safely to our own lines. Corporal Wateridge showed the highest qualities of courage and determination in both his attempt to get ammunition through the enemy lines to a hard-pressed Battalion and in seizing an immediate opportunity to escape from enemy hands."

Member of the British Empire (MBE)

5178368 Warrant Officer Class 1 Edward Jack Hobbs
"Warrant Officer Hobbs was the Regimental Sergeant-Major of the 1st Glosters during their participation in the Korean campaign until inclusive the Battle of the Imjin River, 22nd-25th April 1951. This citation covers his sterling service to his Battalion during that period, including his gallantry during the final battle in which he was captured with the majority of the Battalion. Throughout the months preceding the Battle of the Imjin River - and these were the bitter months of a Korean winter, in the main - Warrant Officer Hobbs spent his days giving perpetually of his best. In action or at rest, there was never a task too difficult for him to overcome, never an unpleasant duty that was not seen through personally to the end, never a moment in day or night when he was not ready, cheerful, and ever-willing to serve his Battalion in any capacity. He was always to be relied upon; he never failed. Again and again he undertook duties normally expected to be the responsibility of an officer considerably his senior in rank in liaison, in tactical deployment, in the keeping the HQ Operations Watch. It was only to be expected that when the trying period of the Battle of the Imjin River arose and his Battalion became desperately engaged in a struggle with an enemy numerically overwhelmingly superior, he should prove of the utmost value. An example of this may be found in his gallantry on 24th April 1951, when the Battalion, depleted in numbers, ammunition, and supplies, were concentrated on 2 hill features. In the valley below, now under direct enemy observation and within range of their mortars and machine guns, lay desperately needed ammunition, medical supplies, food and water in the original Battalion HQ position. Warrant Officer Hobbs volunteered to lead a party to descend in daylight from his position to obtain the most urgently needed stocks of these; and lead his party he did, with considerable success. Under the enemy guns he moved in and with great skill and daring bore of these supplies to provide fresh bllod for his comrades' resistance. Warrant Officer Hobbs provides one of the finest examples of the traditional loyalty, gallantry and dependability for which the corps of warrant officers of the British Army is so justly famous."

British Empire Medal

5182247 A/WO2 A.E. Morton
14462559 Sgt. W.J. Smyth
6203560 A/Sgt. A. Sykes

Mentioned in Despatches

Pte. A.J. Allum
Lieutenant D.G. Allman
Major P.A. Angier *
L/Cpl. K.W. Baldwin *
Pte. D.N. Barber *
Pte. F.T. Barclay *
Sgt. S.J. Brisland
CSgt. H.E. Buxcey *
Lieutenant H.C. Cabral *
Pte. J. Cain *
Sgt. J.E. Claxton
LCpl. J.J. Crisp
Sgt. D.A. Dawe
Pte. H.H. Dawson
Pte. W.E. Dix *
Pte. G.A.A. Freeman
Pte. N.A.F. Gadd
Pte. B.G. Gallop *
Pte. G.W. Glarvey
Pte. G.H. Harris
ACpl. R.L.V. Hurst *
Captain G.D.E. Lutyens-Humphrey
Pte. E.G. Madgwick *
Pte. P.H. Maskell
Cpl. R.Y. Masters
Captain W.L.D. Morris
Sgt. B.J. Murphy
Sgt. D. Northey *
Pte. W. Palfrey
CSgt. R. Panting
LCpl. W.A. Patrick
Pte. P. Patterson
Pte. F.E. Pearson
Sgt. P.V. Pethrick
2nd Lieutenant A.C.N. Preston
Pte. F.L. Richards
A/WO2 J.H. Ridlington
Pte. W. Roberts *
Pte. S. Sainsbury
Sgt. B.M. Smith
2nd Lieutenant T.E. Waters *
Major P.W. Weller
Pte. B.C. Whitechurch

* = posthumous

The United States Presidential Unit Citation

Awarded to the 1st Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment.
Army Order 111 of 1951:
"His Majesty The King has been graciously pleased to approve the wearing of a distinctive emblem on their uniforms by personnel of "C" Troop, 170th Independent Mortar Battery, Royal Artillery, and 1st Battalion, The Gloucestershire Regiment, to mark the citation of these units by the United States Army in Korea for exceptionally outstanding performance of duty and extraordinary heroism in action against the armed enemy near Solma-ri, Korea, on the 23rd, 24th and 25th April 1951.
The emblem will be worn by all personnel while serving on the posted strength of the above-named units. Only those who were in Korea on the posted strength of these units on the dates given in para. 1
above will retain the right to wear the emblem on transfer or posting to other units.
The emblem will consist of a piece of dark blue watered silk ribbon, enclosed in a gilt metal frame for wear with No.3 dress or bush jackets or khaki drill jackets, or edged with gold embroidery for wear with No. 1 dress or battledress or service dress. It will be worn horizontally near the top of each sleeve but below the arm title when the latter is worn. The approximate size is 1 and 3/8th inches wide by half inch in depth.
Emblems will be provided at public expense for wear on all occasions when No. 1 dress or No. 3 dress is worn or would be worn if in general issue. Dress Regulations for the Army, 1934 and Clothing Regulations, 1936, will be amended accordingly on revision."

The United States Presidential Unit Citation 'Streamer'

Army Order 2 of 1955:
"Her Majesty The Queen has been graciously pleased to approve that the 1st Battalion, The Gloucestershire Regiment, may be permitted on Back Badge Day, the 21st March of each year or the nearest appropriate date, to wear on the pike of the Regimental Colour a "Streamer", emblem of the United States Presidential Citation awarded to the Regiment for distinguished service at Solma-ri, Korea."
The Streamer is of blue silk with the word "Solma-ri" embroidered in yellow.

United States Distinguished Service Cross

Lieutenant-Colonel J.P. Carne, VC, DSO
"The Queen has been pleased to give unrestricted permission to Colonel Carne to wear the American Distinguished Service Cross."

Awards for Conduct as Prisoners of War

40378 Lieutenant T.E. Waters - GEORGE CROSS (posthumous)
Lieutenant Waters refused to cooperate with his captors, choosing to face death instead. His last.words to his men "remember you are British soldiers."

"The Queen has been graciously pleased to approve the award of the George Cross on Lieutenant Terence Edward Waters (deceased) of The West Yorkshire Regiment, attached The Gloucestershire Regiment. Lieut. Waters was captured subsequently to the Battle of the Imjin, 22nd-25th April 1951. By this time he had sustained a serious wound in the top of the head and yet another most painful wound in the arm as a result of this action. On the journey to Pyongyang with the other captives he set a magnificent example of courage and fortitude in remaining with the wounded other ranks on the march, whom he felt it his duty to care for to the best of his ability. Subsequently, after a journey of immense hardship and privation, the party arrived at an area west of Pyongyang adjacent to POW Camp 12 and known generally as "The Caves," in which they were held captive. They found themselves imprisoned in a tunnel driven into the side of the hill through which a stream flowed continuously, flooding a great deal of the floor, in which were packed a great number of South Korean and European prisoners of war in rags, filthy, crawling with lice. In this cavern a number died daily from wounds, sickness, or merely malnutrition: they fed on two small meals of boiled maize daily. Of medical attention there was none. Lieut. Waters appreciated that few, of any, of his numbers would survive these conditions, in view of their weakness and the absolute lack of attention for their wounds. After a visit from a North Korean Political Officer, who attempted to persuade them to volunteer as "Peace Fighters" (that is, active participants in the propaganda movement against their own side) with a promise of better food, of medical treatment and the other amenities as a reward for such activity - an offer that was refused unanimously - he decided to order his men to pretend to accede to the offer in an effort to save their lives. This he did, giving the necessary instructions to the senior other rank with the party, Sergeant Hope, that the men would go upon his order without fail. Whilst realising that this act would save the lives of his party, he refused to go himself, aware that the task of maintaining British prestige was vested in him. Realising that they had failed to subvert an officer with the British party, the North Koreans now made a series of concerted efforts to persuade Lieut. Waters to save himself by joining the camp. This he steadfastly refused to do. He died a short time after. He was a young, inexperienced officer, comparatively recently commissioned from RMA Sandhurst, yet he set an example of the highest gallantry."

Member of the British Empire

Rev. S.J. Davies
Major P.W. Weller

British Empire Medal

Pte. P.L. Godden

22530240 Pte. K.V. Godwin
"Private (now Corporal) Godwin was made a prisoner on 25th April 1951, whilst serving with the 1st Glosters as a rifleman in the Battle of the Imjin River. On arrival at the permanent prisoner-of-war camp run by the Chinese troops on the Yalu River he found the camps without the guidance of officers, warrant officers or senior NCOs. Appreciating the insidiuos and evil nature of the political and moral subversion then being attempted by his captors, he joined together with a small number of others of exceptional loyalty and courage to form a resistance movement. Eventually, his part in this movement became known, and he was arrested. Early attempts to make him turn informer failed, Private Godwin was manacled and placed in a very small hutch. Here he was to remain for many months, his only release from its confines being for interrogations. Private Godwin's courage and loyalty under repeated brutal interrogation and appalling living conditions were truly suberb. His example of fortitude heartened many of his fellow-prisoners and made a major contribution to the resistances to the attempts by Chinese forces in Korea to subvert our men."

Pte. D.M. Haines
Cpl J. Hartigan
Cpl A.C. Holdham, MM
LCpl R.F. Matthews (REME) - wrote "No Rice For Rebels" about his experiences.
Pte D.C. Stockting
WO2 F.G. Strong (APTC)
Cpl K. Walters

Mentioned in Despatches

Cpl C.A. Bailey
Sgt. E. Boughton, DCM
Cpl A.J. Donohue, MM
Captain A.H. Farrar-Hockley DSO, MC - wrote "The Edge of the Sword" about his experiences.
Cpl F. Upjohn
Pte. R.G. Flynn
Major E.D. Harding, DSO
Sgt. P.J. Hoper
Pte. R.H. Thomas


Order of the British Empire

47575 Lieutenant-Colonel D.B.A. Grist - LG 30 April 1952

Military Cross

393213 T/Capt R.J. Martin - LG 30 April 1952

Captain R.S. Mardell, MM - Award for attack on Hill 327.
"On 16th February, during the attack on Hill 327, Capt. Mardell was 2nd-in-command of one of the assaulting companies. On learning that his Company Commander had been wounded, Capt. Mardell at once climbed the hill and assumed command of the Company which, at that time, was held up on the steep, bush-covered slopes of an under feature which was strongly and stubbornly held by the enemy. Capt. Mardell made a quick, bold plan to outflank the position and take it from the rear. Then, having organised covering fire, he personally led the assault with great dash and gallantry in the face of considerable enemy small arms fire from the flank and front supplemented by a number of grenades from the positions under attack. This operation meeting with complete success, Capt. Mardell rallied his men and swept on to the main hill feature. By this time another company had secured a foothold on a shoulder of the hill, but the greater part of it was still in enemy hands, who were resisting stubbornly with small arms fire and grenades. Again, with complete mastery of the situation, Capt. Mardell brought over-powering covering fire to bear and then led his men into the asault with bayonet and grenade. This finally secured the feature. There can be no doubt that Capt. Mardell's grasp of the situation, his ability to plan effectively, and his magnificent fighting spirit were largely responsible for the success of the operation."

Military Medal

14076869 Sergeant K.D. Eames - Awarded for attack on Hill 327.
"Sergeant Eames was a member of one of the assault Companies in the attack on Hill 327 was on 16th February. After a sharp engagement on one of the forward slopes, during which he distinguished himself by his fearlessness and leadership, Sergeant Eames led his Platoon on to the crest of the hill. At this stage the eastern half of the hill still remained in the hands of a tenacious enemy who hitherto resisted every effort to reach them by bringing down heavy small arms fire supplemented by grenades on the bare crest-line, and who now increased their resistance as Sergt. Eames personally led the assault forward. It was he who entered and destroyed the foremost posts whose occupants would not surrender. There can be no doubt that his was a major contribution to the capture of this vital ground and the ultimate success of the day."

5251663 Pte. S.E. Edwards
"Private Edwards took part in the attack on Hill 327 on 16th February 1951. He was despatched on a number of occasions with messages at a critical stage in the battle over ground constantly under fire. He never failed to deliver his messages nor to return instantly to his platoon HQ. At a later stage Private Edwards made his way forward to an exposed position of the hillside and laid out an aircraft recongnition panel, remaining in this position under fire until informed that those below were able to see the indicator."

Mentioned in Despatches

47575 Lieutenant-Colonel D.B.A. Grist - wrote "Remembered With Advantage" about his experiences.
185194 Captain (QM) F.H. Worlock

His Majesty King George VI - "The heroic action of the 1st Battalion The Gloucestershire Regiment maintained the highest traditions of my fighting services and had been justly acclaimed throughout the world."

Her Majesty, Queen Mary - "I wish you as Colonel of The Gloucestershire Regiment to know how immensely interested I was to read the accounts of the gallantry of the 1st Battalion in Korea, though I am deeply grieved by their heavy loss. I came to know so many officers and men of the Regiment while at Badminton during the war years."

President Truman - "In recent months Britain and the US have stood shoulder to shoulder in the battlefields of Korea defending the rights of man. There, too, our men have died, though none more heroically than the gallant Glosters. The spirit of supreme sacrifice on the part of all but a handful of the 1st Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment, typifies our mutual determination that all who love freedom shall be protected and defended from aggression."

Citation 8th U.S. Army, Korea - "These gallant soldiers would not retreat ....completely surrounded by tremendous numbers, these indomitable, resolute and tenacious soldiers fought with unsurpassed fortitude and courage. As ammunition ran low and the advancing horeds moved closer, these splendid soldiers fought back viciously to prevent the enemy from overunning the position and moving rapidly on the south. Their heroic stand provided the critically needed time to regroup other 1 Corps units .... Without thought of defeat or surrender, this heroic force demonstrated  superb battlefield courage and discipline. Every yard of ground they surrendered was covered with enemy dead until the last gallant soldier of the fighting Battalion was overpowered by the final surge of the enemy masses...... their sustained brilliance in battle, their resoluteness, and extraordinary heroism are in keeping with the finest traditions of the renowned military forces of the British Commonwealth, and reflect unsurpassed credit on those courageous soldiers and their homeland." Major General Allen, US Army

U.N. Command, Korea - "Your unit has been officially cited for its heroic stand at the Imjin River. It is with great pride that I join all freedom loving peoples of the world in expressing admiration of their gallant stand."
General Ridgeway US Army, c-in-c UN Command

"The gallant and outstanding officers and men of the 1st Battalion, The Gloucestershire Regiment, have perpetuated nobly the glorious traditions of their historically renowned Regiment and the fighting forces of the British Commonwealth." Lieutenant General James A. Van Fleet, HQ 8 US Army, Korea

"Here we have the boys of The Gloucestershire Regiment, surrounded, decimated. A hundred and fifty years ago the same battalion were surrounded by foreign troops, and were fighting desperately and successfully, and for the action they fought at Alexandria at that time they now wear a regimental badge on their headress, both in the front and to the rear. Do you suppose for one moment that all those boys struggling in the heights of Korea didn't have, subconsciously or consciously, some recollection of that valour of their regiment in the past, and stick it out because they knew that the Gloucestershires never surrendered and never gave in? I'm perfectly sure those traditions played a great part." Lord Cork and Orrey at the Royal Academy Dinner, 1951.

"Today we think of the men who fell on the Imjin River in far-away Korea only 2 months ago, in a feat of arms which has never been surpassed in the annals of war. Can we doubt that when they crossed over, the heroes of old, the men who held the Pass at Thermoplyae, the men of the Light Brigade who charged at Balaclava, their own forefathers who fell in the battlefields the world over, rose up and saluted them as worthy comrades. The laurels of The Gloucestershire Regiment will never fade, their glory will never die; their County and their Country will never forget. Theirs is a record of bravery and achievement which will ever be remembered with wonder, reverence and gratitude, as long as we endure as a nation." General Lord Ismay.

Today a memorial stands on Gloster Hill, near Solma-Ri in Korea:

"Battle of Solma-Ri 22nd - 25th April 1951 This memorial on Gloster Hill commemorates the heroic stand of the 1st Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment and C Troop 170 Light (Mortar) Battery, Royal Artillery
Surrounded and greatly outnumbered they fought valiantly for 4 days in defence of freedom."

The World's Press announced the new nickname "The Glorious Glosters"

Awards to Attached Personnel and Units in Direct Support of the Glosters during the Imjin Battle

Military Cross

Captain R.P. Hickey - Royal Army Medical Corps
"During the final stages of the Battle of the Imjin River on 24th and 25th April 1951, the remnants of the Battalion were concentrated on Hill 235. During the last fierce engagement lasting some 12 hours, the Regimental Aid Post, like every part of the hill, was frequently under heavy machine gun and rifle fire. Capt. Hickey continued with exemplary coolness and unfailing mercy to attend to large numbers of wounded men then in his care. When, eventually, the order was given to evacuate the hill in an endeavour to break through to our own lines, Capt. Hickey volunteered to remain with the wounded men who could not be moved, well knowing that his action must involve, at best, his capture by the Chinese."

Military Medal

WO2 G.E. Askew - C Troop 170 Mortar Battery, Royal Artillery
Cpl C.J. Papworth - Royal Army Medical Corps -
wrote "To Bait The Dragon" about his experiences.

Mentioned in Despatches

Cpl E.T. Bruton - Royal Army Medical Corps
Captain C.S.R. Dain - 45 Field Regiment, Royal Artillery
LCpl H. Jennings - Royal Signals
Captain A.M.L. Newcombe, MC - 45 Field Regiment, Royal Artillery
T/Captain R.F. Washbrook * - 45 Field Regiment, Royal Artillery
Captain R.F. Wiseby, MC - C Troop 170 Mortar Battery, Royal Artillery

The United States Presidential Unit Citation

Awarded to 'C' Troop 170 Independent Mortar Battery, Royal Artillery

Korean Roll of Honour ..................Battle of the Imjin ................Index